Why we need your legal documents
All universities in Quebec must report their students' legal status in Canada to the Quebec Ministry of Education.
- If you are International, you must have immigration permission to remain in Canada for the length of your registration at McGill, according to the level of your program (e.g. undergraduate, graduate, postdoctoral, etc).
- If you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, your legal documents will determine your rate of tuition fees at McGill.
Fee schedules are listed at Student Accounts.
- For ALL: legal documents are required for the creation of your Quebec Permanent Code.
What to submit
To determine which legal documents we will require, select the item corresponding to whether you are a:
When to submit
Send in all your documents after you have accepted the offer of admission to McGill and before you arrive on campus. This will ensure that your student legal and tuition fee status are up-to-date.
*Note for international students: you usually cannot send your Study Permit in advance since it is issued at the port of entry into Canada; please email a PDF copy to Service Point once you arrive in Canada.
- Summer Session: August 01
- Fall Session: December 01
- Winter Session: April 01
If you are currently enrolled and are requesting a change to your status, please submit your legal documents as soon as possible. We cannot accept changes to your legal status after the last day of classes at the end of term, as the Quebec Government does not allow us to amend our files retroactively. Claims submitted after that date will only serve to update your status for the following term.
IMPORTANT: The Student Accounts Office wants you to be aware that if your submission to update your legal and tuition fee status will not be completed before their fee payment deadline, you should request a fee deferral in order to avoid any interest or late payment charges. More detailed information on this on the Student Accounts website.
How and where to submit
It is important that you submit your documents as soon as possible. For submission instructions, refer to the How/Where tab.
Do not send us originals.
Once your documents are submitted, it normally takes us 10 to 15 working days to update your record. You can check your status in Minerva under: Student Menu>>Student Accounts Menu>>View Tuition and Legal Status