Tenure consideration for tenure-track professors and librarians is mandatory at a certain point in their McGill careers. Staff members may put forth a dossier for early consideration, if advisable. The earliest possible consideration date, at rank, is as follows:
- Assistant Professor/Assistant Librarian - in the third year on tenure-track or at any time with consent of the staff member
- Associate Professor/Associate Librarian - at any point on the tenure-track, prior to the fifth year
- Full Professor/Full Librarian - at any point on the tenure-track, prior to the fourth year
Consult your department for additional dates related to the preparation and submission of your tenure dossier.
Timelines for mandatory tenure consideration are as follows:
Rank & Year of Hire
Year of Mandatory Tenure Consideration
Tenure dossier submitted to Secretariat
Assist Prof/Lib (2016)
Assoc Prof/Lib (2017)
Full Prof/Lib (2018)
1 September 2021
1 June 2022
Assist Prof/Lib (2017)
Assoc Prof/Lib (2018)
Full Prof/Lib (2019)
1 September 2022
1 June 2023
Assist Prof/Lib (2018)
Assoc Prof/Lib (2019)
Full Prof/Lib (2020)
1 September 2023
1 June 2024
Assist Prof/Lib (2019)
Assoc Prof/Lib (2020)
Full Prof/Lib (2021)
1 September 2024
1 June 2025
Assist Prof/Lib (2020)
Assoc Prof/Lib (2021)
Full Prof/Lib (2022)
1 September 2025
1 June 2026
Assist Prof/Lib (2021)
Assoc Prof/Lib (2022)
Full Prof/Lib (2023)
1 September 2026
1 June 2027
Assist Prof/Lib (2022)
Assoc Prof/Lib (2023)
Full Prof/Lib (2024)
1 September 2027
1 June 2028
The tenure dossier shall be compiled by the candidate and consist of the following documents:
- The internal package, which shall be compiled by the candidate and includes:
- The candidate’s curriculum vitae;
- The candidate’s personal statement in support of her or his candidature;
- A record of the candidate’s teaching (including graduate and professional supervision as appropriate). Information about the candidate’s teaching shall be prepared in accordance with the Teaching Portfolio Guidelines (Appendix A);
- A record of the candidate’s research, scholarship and professional activities and contributions). Information about the candidate’s research shall be prepared in accordance with the Research Portfolio Guidelines (Appendix B);
- A record of the candidate’s general contributions to the University and scholarly communities. Information about the candidate’s contributions to the University and scholarly communities shall be prepared in accordance with the Service Portfolio Guidelines (Appendix C).
- Any other materials the candidate may wish to submit;
- All reports received from external evaluators;
- The list of external evaluators and the written justification for the choice of each of them;
- Additional items submitted in accordance with these regulations.
- The external package consists of the same documents as the internal package, with the exception of information about the candidate’s teaching.
The University Secretariat administers the process of tenure assessment. Tenure dossiers are evaluated by Departmental Tenure Committee (DTC), the faculty-level University Tenure Committee (UTC), and by the Principal or her delegate who, in turn, recommends dossiers for the grant of tenure to the Board of Governors.
Deferring Tenure Consideration
All pre-tenure (tenure-track) professors and librarians will be allowed to elect to defer their consideration for reappointment and tenure by one full year because of the impact of the coronavirus on their productivity. Professors and librarians who wish to defer reappointment consideration in light of this option must advise their Chair/Director and Dean at least one month before their reappointment dossier is due in their Department, and follow the same process as below (except for the delay which is one month for this option) but indicate that the reason is the current situation. This extension does not count against the maximum two-year extension to reappointment and tenure clocks for periods of authorized leave permitted under McGill’s Regulations Relating to the Employment of Tenure Track and Tenured Academic Staff (ss. 6.10 and 7.5) and Regulations Relating to the Employment of Librarian Staff.
A staff member who has taken an authorized leave (e.g., parental leave, disability leave, leave of absence) of three months or more prior to their mandatory year of tenure consideration may elect to defer their year of tenure consideration. To do so, staff members must inform the Provost and Vice-Principal (Academic) via an email to the academic.personnel [at] mcgill.ca (Academic Personnel Office) by June 1st of their year of mandatory tenure consideration. Only two deferrals are permitted per staff member. All leaves relating to the same event (e.g., a maternity leave and extended parental leave) are treated as a single authorized leave.
Please consult the Secretariat website for additional information.