WorldCat Discovery is the next generation of our current discovery system, WorldCat Local.
In August 2018, the Library will upgrade the existing WorldCat Local online catalogue and search tool to its successor WorldCat Discovery.
Try it now!
WorldCat Discovery provides:
- Better search options including filtered searching
- Easier browsing and partial search results retained on the left panel when selecting a record
- More search fields - 25 compared to 7 in WorldCat Local
- Responsive design across all devices
Please note: WorldCat Discovery is still being implemented and we are experimenting with configuration settings. Things will change over the course of the summer. We will be seeking feedback as we try different settings.
Give us your feedback!
We would love to hear your feedback or answer any questions you have about WorldCat Discovery.
Contact us at discovery.library [at] mcgill.ca. We'll do our best to answer your questions and take note of any problems you encounter.
A: Yes! All permalinks to records in WorldCat Local be automatically redirected to the same record in WorldCat Discovery after the migration.
Q: Will I still be able to find and place requests for items held in other libraries?
A: Yes! Users will still be able to place requests and holds and easily expand searching from McGill Library, to BCI (Quebec University Libraries), to all of the world’s libraries that use WorldCat.
- WorldCat Discovery no longer has a "lists" function. You can save items temporarily during your browsing session but are not able to save a list to your account unless you are library staff.
- When McGill Library is selected under “held by” in WorldCat Discovery you are taken to WorldCat Local.