Tanna Schulich Hall, opened in 2006, is a multipurpose venue located in McGill’s Elizabeth Wirth Music Building (formerly called the New Music Building). It is named after Tanna Schulich, a music lover and amateur violinist.
The 187 seat hall is technologically sophisticated, with wood panels that enhance the acoustics. It has a large reception area/lobby and green room and is commonly used as a concert, lecture and conference venue.
- Tanna Hall is directly inside the main entrance of McGill University's Elizabeth Wirth Music Building, in downtown Montreal.
- The Box Office is directly inside the main entrance of Strathcona Music Building, next door (see Pollack Hall directions).
- The two buildings are connected by a passerelle.
- Hall: 527 Sherbrooke Street West (rue Sherbrooke Ouest), between Union Avenue and Aylmer Street (rue Aylmer).
- Box Office: 555 Sherbrooke St. West, between University St. and Aylmer St.
By metro or bus
- McGill metro (green line): Take the University St. (rue University) exit. Walk north, up the small hill, one block to Sherbrooke St. Cross Sherbrooke St. and turn right.
- Bus 24 (Sherbrooke) stops in front of the Elizabeth Wirth Music Building.
Hall: Enter through the main entrance of the Elizabeth Wirth Music Building (ground level). Once inside, take the ramp on the left to the elevators. Exit on the 2nd floor and turn right. Before the passerelle at the end of the hall you will see the Tanna Hall doors on your left.
- From the 2nd floor of the Elizabeth Wirth Music Building, go through the passerelle to Strathcona Music Building. Once there, follow the signs to Pollack Hall.
- Alternative route: There is a wheelchair entrance with ramp 30 metres east of the main entrance of Strathcona Music Building (555 Sherbrooke St. West). Once inside, follow signs to Pollack Hall via the elevator to the second floor.
We do not have on-site parking for the public. On-street metered parking is available in the downtown core. For information about on-site parking permits, visit the McGill Parking website, or call 514-398-4559.
- 170 seats total
Box Office and ticketing
- Complete ticket sales service accepting Visa, MasterCard and debit cards (no cash).
- The Box Office is open from September to April. Option for 24/7 ticket sales online.
- On-street parking with meters is available. Contact our Production Office (514-398-8993) for loading dock parking information.
- Large room available for musicians to warm up, with bathroom facilities.
Catering and receptions
- The lobby is well suited for receptions. Contact our Production Office (514-398-8993) for information. To serve alcohol, a liquor permit must be obtained from the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux Québec (RAJC).
- Available upon request.
Basic stage and A/V equipment
- 20 chairs and 20 music stands
- Public address system (microphone and lectern)
- Multi-media projector and screen
- Sound board (16 inputs)
- 6 table microphones
- 2 hand-held microphones
- 6 tables
- Yamaha, 20015
- No preparation of the action, strings, interior, etc. is permitted.
Tanna Hall is available for rental when not in use for educational purposes. We prioritize bookings in this order:
- Schulich School of Music students and faculty (educational purposes)
- Returning rental clients
- All other rental clients
- Instrument rental
- McGill website event listing
- Box Office and ticket sales support
Contact the Production Supervisor, Johanne Froncioni, at 514-398-8993 for more information or to inquire about availabilities.
If your event is approved, fill out the Tanna Hall production form at least one month before the event to ensure that it runs smoothy:
Rates are valid from September 1, 2017 to August 31, 2018. Applicable taxes, including Quebec Sales Tax (QST) and Federal Goods and Services Tax (GST), are not included in the rates below.
|Basic rental fee (6 hours)||
|Overtime (hourly rate)||
|Stage manager||Included in rental fee|
|2nd stage manager (minimum 6 hours)||$40 per hour|
|Stage hand (minimum 4 hours)||$25 per hour|
|Live sound technician (minimum 4 hours)||$25 per hour|
Front of House staff
|2 ushers (for 4 hours)||Included in rental fee|
|Ushers - overtime hours||$25 per hour, per usher|
|Coat room attendant (minimum 4 hours)||$25 per hour|
|Employee at Box Office reception on day of event (minimum 3 hours)||$25 per hour|
|Ticket sales for paid events|
|Additional box office fee (includes above employee for 3 hours)||$200|
|Charge for tickets bought in person on by phone||$1.75 per ticket|
|Charge for tickets bought online||
Tickets up to $20: $0.50 + 10% per ticket
Tickets $20.01 and up: $0.50 + 8% per ticket
|Tickets required by the lessee||
$0.30 per complimentary ticket
$1.00 per subscription ticket on consignment
$1.75 per single ticket on consignment
|Charge for all tickets bought by credit or debit card||4%|
|Tailored configuration of seating plan for lessee||$275|
|Posting of event date/description on McGill website||Included in rental rate|
|Formatted recording on CD||$290|
|Rental (including one tuning)||$275|
|Piano technician on stand-by||$175|
|Rental (including 2 tunings)||$225|
|Moving (within same building)||$135|
|Moving between different locations||Fees as per Gagnier Transport|
|Rental (including one tuning)||$275|
Fees as per Gagnier Transport
|Percussion and other instruments|
Some percussion and other instruments are available
Contact us for pricing/availability