Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (GPS) is accepting applications for the 2018-19 Graduate Mobility Award.
This award encourages graduate students to study and conduct research abroad as part of their McGill degree program. Students will be awarded the Graduate Mobility Award based on academic unit and Faculty approval.
- Submit your application after your travel plans have been confirmed.
- Requests will approved on a rolling basis but applications should be submitted no later than March 15th for travel until August 2019.
The student must:
- Be enrolled in a graduate degree program at McGill
- Be registered as a full-time thesis student at the time of travel
- Have completed one full-time term at the time of application
- Be in good academic standing
- Have held an advisory/supervisory committee meeting within 10 months of the departure date
- Be approved by his/her academic unit and Faculty to take part in a mobility opportunity
- Be proposing to travel between September 1, 2018 and August 31, 2019
- Be participating in one or more of the following mobility activities, depending on the Faculty/academic unit:
- Research stay at a lab abroad
- Participation in a formal bilateral exchange/research partnership abroad
- Field work abroad
- Once the Mobility Award application is submitted and approved by the academic unit, the unit must create a Travel Registry
- Each student may receive only one award per academic year
- Conference travel is NOT eligible
Amendments in Value of Award
Going forward, the amount of funding provided by the Graduate Mobility Award must be between $750 and $1,500 per month. The amount of funding for travel of duration shorter than a month will be prorated accordingly.
Amendments in Eligibility
In order to be eligible for the Graduate Mobility Awards, students:
- May travel for up to 2 terms (period may not exceed 8 months);
- Cannot undertake a research project in a country where they hold citizenship (unless they are a permanent resident or citizen of Canada);
- Cannot undertake a research project at an institution where they have previously completed a degree.
Value of Award
Award values depend on where the mobility activity takes place, its duration and the availability of funding at the time of application.
How to Apply
- Download and complete the Graduate Mobility Award 2018-19 Application Form.PDF
- Obtain approval from your supervisor(s)
- Submit application and supporting documents, including one letter of support from McGill supervisor detailing significance of the research activity, location, collaborator(s) (if applicable and any matching funding (must be on letterhead and signed), and CV of the applicant
- Complete the Travel Registry Form (must first be created by the academic unit administrator)
Before applying, McGill students on US Direct loans intending to pursue any portion of their program in the US or a foreign country should refer the Scholarships and Student Aid website to check eligibility and impact this funding will have on their US Direct loan(s).
Upon completion of the travel abroad, students will be requested to:
Graduate Mobility Award recipients are required to complete a short survey and provide proof of travel (i.e. boarding pass) within one month of their return. Students who fail to complete this step will see their award withdrawn
All changes in travel plans must be reported to the academic unit and GPS immediately. Failure to report changes may result in the withdrawal of the award.
Kindly note: airfare tickets are not accepted as proof of travel.