Federal funding agencies (Tri-Agency)
The main sources of Canadian federal research funding are three agencies:
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC)
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)
For an overview of the main Tri-Agency funding opportunities, see OSR’s Table of Agency Programs. Consult the OSR deadlines listing / OSR Funding Database for details on current opportunities.
OSR provides a wide range of services and resources to support applications from McGill researchers to Tri-Agency funding opportunities such as application guides, workshops, lending library of successful applications, and grant review services. To access OSR resources and information on Tri-Agency funding opportunities, please see details on our CIHR, NSERC and SSHRC pages.
Federal funding for strategic initiatives
At McGill, proposals for federal government funding for strategic research initiatives are managed through the Strategic Initiatives (SI) unit in the Office of the Vice Principal - Research and Innovation. Please contact the SI unit for inquiries regarding:
- Canada First Research Excellence Fund (CFREF - Apogée)
- Canadian Foundation for Innovation (CFI)
- Canada Research Chairs (CRC) and Canada Excellence Research Chairs (CERC)
- Genome Canada
- Networks of Centres of Excellence
Other federal sponsors
OSR provides support for other federal funding opportunities offered by government departments and agencies. Search for current opportunities in the OSR deadlines listing / OSR Funding Database.