Online application form
All music applicants must complete an online application for admission to McGill University. Use the "statement of intent" field in the online application form to:
- Briefly explain why you want to study at the Schulich School of Music and what you hope to do once you complete your degree.
- Let us know where you want to attend a regional audition, if you've chosen this option (Vancouver, Calgary, New York, Boston or San Francisco).
Supporting materials for all music applicants
- Music Reference Letter
- One Music Reference Letter (letter must be emailed by referee). See below for instructions for referees.
- We need unofficial transcripts from all academic institutions you have attended, unless you are a CEGEP or Ontario high school student applying through OUAC. We will only ask for your official transcripts (sent to us by the institution directly) if you receive an offer of admission.
- Audition material
- Prepare a recorded audition if you cannot participate in on-campus or regional auditions.
- Proof of English proficiency
- You may be required to demonstrate profiency in English. Visit McGill's Applying website to find out if this applies to you.
Instructions for referees:
Please undergraduateadmissions.music [at] mcgill.ca (email) a PDF letter (maximum one page) providing information concerning the applicant’s musical, academic and/or personal background to help us evaluate their qualifications for admission.
Additional program-specific materials
- Written scores for 2 or 3 of your compositions in a single PDF document. If you have recordings available of these compositions (mp3), send us these as well. See How to Apply for submission details.
- You can also provide other “composition-related” works like advanced harmony exercises, arrangements, orchestrations or papers written about composition (analysis, presentations, etc.).
- undergraduateadmissions.music [at] mcgill.ca (Email) us a letter from a teacher (or someone who can attest to your potential as a music educator), in PDF form.
- Video (mp3) screening material, if you want to be considered for on-campus auditions.
Non-degree Sound Recording qualifying year (for the M.Mus. program)
- On the application form, you apply as an undergraduate non-degree special student.
- In your statement of intent (in the online application form), describe your interest in pursuing undergraduate prerequisite classes in sound recording.
- You will provide sound recording demos with written descriptions (if available). See How to Apply for submission details.
- Letters of recommendation are not required.
- No audition is required.
- An application fee will be charged.
Voice (including Early Music Voice): Female applicants only
- Video screening material, if you want to be considered for on-campus auditions.